Beaufort County Ballot Resolutions
Important Voting Information
On October 7, 2021, Joe Passiment, Beaufort County Council Chairman, spoke to the membership of the Greater Island Council of Hilton Head Island and Bluffton on two important resolutions on the upcoming 2021 ballot.
About The Resolutions
BOOST – a one cent tax on each dollar of all retail sales taxable under state sales tax. 71% of this tax will be used to reduce property taxes on Beaufort County tax payers.
Change of Government – the question will ask Beaufort County voters whether they approve of changing the government structure from council-administrator to council-manager, effectively giving the County power to make the Auditor and Treasurer non-elected positions. Under the current form, the Treasurer and Auditor are elected by voters and serve four-year terms.
About Joe Passiment
Joseph “Joe” Passiment was born in Carbondale, PA and raised in Binghamton, NY. He attended the University of Buffalo in Buffalo NY, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration and a Master’s degree in vocational education. Joe embarked upon a teaching career in Buffalo, teaching business education and math for the next 8 years. Having survived the infamous blizzard of 1977, Joe and his family left Buffalo, and spent the rest of his working career in New Jersey. Joe taught for 8 more years before heading into administration, serving as a business administrator in three different school districts for the next 22 years. He retired just 11 days before becoming an executive county school business administrator and executive county school superintendent until retiring permanently in April of 2015.
His past activities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Member of the Sun City Government and Business Affairs Committee as Secretary in 2015-2016 and Vice Chair in 2016-2017
- Member of the Sun City Finance Committee and served as the Chair in 2017-2018 after serving as the Vice Chair in 2015-2016
- Member of the Beaufort County Zoning Board of Appeals from January 2017 until December 2018
- Membership Chairman of the Low Country Civil War Roundtable
- Member of the Riverbend Road Warriors, dedicated to removing litter on Highway 170